The Farm

[EN]

The Pradarolo Farm is located in the municipality of Varano de’ Melegari in the province of Parma and runs along the provincial road 32.

The main body of the farm where the vineyards, wine cellar and villa are located, is between 250 and 500 meters above sea level and is on the left bank of the river Ceno, where it forms a kind of natural amphitheatre fully exposed to the south. One part is badlands and the rest is cultivated with fodder and vineyard.

 

 

The lands of cretaceous origin, consisting of clays with interbedded sandstones, purplish sheen siltstones and shitish lime stones. The microclimate is particularly interesting, for the cultivation of the vines, due to the fresh temperatures, the remarkable day-night thermal barrier and the constant marine originated breeze.

Of the 60 hectares only 5 are planted with vines, 3 were planted in 1989 and 2 in 2005.

The villa was the Serravalle Podesta in 1400 when it was the most important centre, before Verano de’ Melegari became important through the settling of the Pallavicino family and the building of the Visconti style castle.   

Important work done in 1700 by the Giordani family, leading to the realization of the time scale and the private chapel still today dedicated to St. Bernardino of Siena.  

Humiliated by disfiguring renovations, which hid the noble lineage, carried out in the late 1950’s, has now gradually returned to its former dignity through a philological restoration with the purpose to create environments suitable for the tasting of farm products, and to host food and wines events and for the hospitality.

The cellar is made from an old barn for dairy cows.